Saturday, January 30, 2010

The BIG ONE for 2010

Okay, so I've come with a goal for 2010, one that I will have to think of EVERY day in order to be successful. Now I feel I need to defend myself on this one and preface it with an explaination:

My goal is to gain 10lbs this year.

Now do you understand why this could be a bit awkward? I know most people's goals are to lose weight, and everyone assumes that I don't need to exercise, and sometimes ridicule me for talking about it, but I'm gunna get personal here. Although exercise is not necessary for me to maintain my weight, it's always good to be healthy.

I'm not saying I'm not happy with my current state. I've considered it a blessing (since being an adult) that I don't have to worry about or count what I eat in order to look or feel good.

But I can look and feel better, on the inside. And shouldn't we all be striving for healthy lifestyles? This wonderful body we've been given is able to do so many amazing things, if only we train it and allow it. We can make our bodies whatever we want, as long our strength of mind is present.
Plus: when all the good endorphines are going, they help out on the home front, if you know what I mean (wink, wink). Miles and I are just in better moods when we're being active, and to be honest, a good mood leads to productivity which leads to a clean house and organization, which leads to happiness in several other areas. And hey, what I if I need to run after a child someday? Good cardio would come in handy!

So now that all your judgement is effaced, I'm going to need your support! Call me on something if I haven't followed through, or offer suggestions - I'll take anything! My life is about to become an open book, and all of you are co-authors.

So here's my plan:

Step 1: find a facility (there's one literally across the street from me) to use for a gym (but I hate membership fees on top of monthly fees. Just one fee, people!)
Step 2: find a buddy or personal trainer. I canNOT do this alone.
Step 3: make sure I'm eating the foods that will help me maintain any muscle I happen to build, it doesn't come easy.
Step 4: make sure I don't look like a body builder. Just some nice toning, that's all I want!
Step 5: be consistent.

Now, to help you understand my predicament, I need to explain my body type:

Ectomorphs

Ectomorphs have an extremely fast metabolism, which makes it very difficult for them to gain weight, and they tend to have a small bone-structure. Many of today's top models, male and female, are ectomorphs and display a thin physique with muscle definition.
At first having a high metabolism would seem preferable, but many ectomorphs want nothing more than to get bigger. They probably won't get fat, this is true, but they also cannot gain muscle very easily.
The primary goal of ectomorphs is to pack on muscle, and for this they must work out less often than endomorphs and mesomorphs while training very intensely. Their workouts must produce maximum muscle-fatigue, and then they must allow for rest in order for their muscles to heal larger. Resting also conserves calories, which are a valuable commodity to ectomorphs.
The diet of an ectomorph wishing to gain muscle must be calorie- and protein-rich. The extra calories keep the body from burning of muscle while the protein is absorbed.

So by now I hope you understand me a little bit better, and will support me in this quest. I'll keep a log of my progress so we can share in my successes together.

3 comments:

  1. just one comment! nice goal but dont worry about looking too buff, i've taken a bunch of exercise science classes and that is what girls say all the time and then use it as an excuse to not lift or push themselves very hard (not saying that what your going to do) but trust me you wont get buff unless you become super insane in the gym. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your goal Shani! And if you want, I'll give you ten of my pounds :) It could help both of us out :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your goal for this year. Finding a place that you are comfortable with is key to working out and also finding a buddy to get you started - at least I have found once I get started I can continue on my own - but it is certainly helpful to have someone to whom you are accountable - not so easy to not do it when you know someone else is waiting for you. All the best on your quest.

    ReplyDelete