Sunday, January 24, 2010

Practicing Parenthood

Last week I was helping out a friend in need: Miles' boss. No, I'm not trying to score brownie points for him! But if they come, we won't turn them away ;)

The short of it is they needed a hand in the daytime childcare department for a week as momma's out of town. Me, I'm happy to oblige. So for 5 days I was able to care for 3 kids (now two of them are in school during the day, so I was only tasked with entertaining a 4 year old. Which really means "follow me around and do what I tell you")

It is interesting stepping into a somewhat parenting role. The tricky part is you're not only there to entertain, but if you can find teaching moments to exploit, that's good too, even better.

I count it as a blessing to be reminded of the simpler things in life, to view things from the simplicity of a child's perspective. I think any parent would agree with me when I say it is our duty to teach children, but they are always teaching us, without even trying.

Thanks, Mark and Jenny, for the opportunity to learn from your children!

1 comment: