Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Preparation

I learned a great lesson from Grams, not too long ago, about preparation. While Miles and I were staying at her place, I found that she had everything she needed to cook dinner, ready to go at a moment's notice, sitting there on her counter. At like, 2pm. All the way down to the pots and pans being on the stovetop. Well I was finally smart enough to put this example into practice in my own life (one day) yesterday as I was preparing for her to come to dinner tonight. Quesedillas is the menu and 1.5 hrs is the time frame in which to cook, eat and visit.

So: yesterday morning (while I was awaiting the arrival of my new television) I cooked the chicken, diced tomatoes and sliced peppers. All I had to do when I got home today was make the guacamole, throw everything into a pan on a tortilla and get it cooking. Marvelous! She is also a great example of cleaning up right away, so while Miles was telling Grampa Wayne all about Apple and how easy it is to use "I can't learn something new" "sure you can, it's this simple, watch" " Look honey, this is what it can do!" at which I point I turn around, only to realize it's Grampa Wayne addressing his wife, not Miles me. (What can you do? I'm not used to hearing "honey" in my house except to address me.)

So after a quick, but successful, dinner the kitchen was cleaned up, and the appropriate "yay, look at my new house" tour has ended. They're on their way, as punctual as ever (another lesson I must learn from my well practiced grandmother).

So here's to preparation. Why put it off, why? JUST DO IT!

No comments:

Post a Comment