Wednesday, May 30, 2012

If I Have To

It's Passport Photo time! I took the boys to get their "oh so charming" pics taken at the AMA last week. I used to work at the AMA, and I used to take passport photos. The running joke was that there was an "ugly filter" that made even the most gorgeous person look homicidal, or at the very least unimpressed, and nothing you could say or do would make them crack a smile.

I wasn't worried, though. My boys are pretty darn cute. There may be those who say otherwise, but I really don't think they exist. These would be government photos with flare!!

Well, I was wrong. The "ugly filter" applies to babies, too.


Okay, so maybe not 'ugly' persay, but I'd much rather catch a pic of them screaming their faces off with alligator tears streaming down their cheeks than this souless, two-dimensional mis-representation of my two happy little men. They're happy babies, I promise! Don't trust the current evidence. I also can't say I'm a fan of Austin's "I'm in a stupor" face, either.

Which leads me to part II of my rant. On the application form, it specifically says mouths must be closed. Having done photos before, I know there's leniency for babies, but I didn't want to risk making the trip to the passport office, just to turn around and get another picture taken. So I got the pic re-done. I don't think AMA was very happy that I was being so picky. And they reminded me that it would likely be okay.

Well, if it would be okay, how about they say so on the application?? Something along the lines of "mouths must be closed, with the exception of children under 3" or something like that. But no, it's this unspoken rule that they'll pass, and wouldn't it be grand if I ran into the one person who rolled out of bed and decided to be a government (fill in the blank) the day I go in. No grey area, please - just re-do the photo and I'll be on my way. So we did.

He doesn't look so clueless, and the collar adds a touch of 'studious', but it still doesn't show the world how loving and amazing this little boy is. 

So be it. 

2 comments:

  1. this is hilarious! oh and the "ugly filter", so true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just did Jesse's today. He was so nervous because we told him he couldn't smile.

    ReplyDelete