Monday, March 14, 2011

Food Blues


So I've developed a love/hate relationship with food. Once upon a time, about 3 months ago, I LOVED food. I would always be eating, and people would hate me because of my metabolism.

Chocolate, peanut M&Ms, toasted bagels, Bacon&Eggers, carrots, soup, sandwiches, steak - anything, I would eat any time of the day.

Well, there's nothing like being forced to eat to make you hate eating. This once-had passion of mine has turned to pure torture. If I don't eat, I'm held hostage by gag reflexes and angry stomach pains. There are times I'm even assaulted in the middle of the night to play slave to my needy stomach. It used to be my appetite and taste buds in charge, now it's these two little ones growing in the depths of my belly that are taking all my food away from me and still demanding more.

Not only are they scanvenging every last bit, but they dare be PICKY about it too!! My olfactories have gone off the charts in sensitivity. I had to toss just about everything in my fridge because I was certain something was going bad (Miles nor his mother could back me up on that. I think they thought I was crazy). I can smell the BO of someone just walking by, and don't get me started on the smell of bacon first thing in the morning and the effect that has on my stomach!

So here I am, forced to bring 10lb lunches to work, usually consisting of:
- last night's leftovers
- oranges
- carrots
- oatmeal bread
- croissant
- mini bagels and cream cheese
- granola bars
- pepperoni sticks
- anything else I can find

But really, I'm starting to get board and I need some variety - but my brain isn't working for me!

Will I ever love food again, or will it forever be a chore?

5 comments:

  1. I have yet to be prego, but I swear by the BRATT diet for all ailments of the tummy, and it might help you too.

    Bananas Rice Applesauce Toast Tea

    I'm sure your appetite and foodie-ness will come back in full force someday! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have found the same thing as you being pregnant. I can't eat cheese or spaghetti sauce or anything super greasy. BO I can smell from a mile away and it makes me want to throw up. I'm 18 weeks now and I am still throwing up every day.
    My appetite is getting better and I'm eating more than I was when I was first pregnant. Fruit helps. I eat lots of pb & j and I eat bagels every morning.
    It'll get better and just keep telling yourself it is all worth it in the end :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't worry Shani - it'll come back AND your sense of smell will calm down too :)

    It wasn't until about 20 weeks when I could get past eating only Honey Bunches & Oats and be able to walk through the grocery store without holding my breath because of the onslaught of smells. I now can smell bread moulding before the mould becomes visible.

    When you do get back the ability to eat what you want again (it's soon, don't worry!) take full advantage! And pack your Tums :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't worry it will be back and you will like food. Just wait until you are nursing two babies and the life is being sucked out of you. YOu won't be able to get your hands on enough food and it will be so good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh- I remember how hard this was! I am so sorry you are "off" food for a bit. its TOTALLY not fun! I used to dream of pasta, stake, cookies....and even now there are a few smells that don't jive with me any more all thanks to preg. BUT it does end AND its soooooo completely worth it! Hang in there. hopefully you are over it soon.

    xo
    eden.

    ReplyDelete